When working in a custom eLearning development company and interacting with prospects, one often faces this curious question, “What is your differentiator?”
The answer to this is usually framed around the following points:
- Years of experience
- Design innovation
- Domain knowledge
- Instructional design capability
- Cost effectiveness
Development technologies, specifically authoring tools, usually don’t appear in the differentiator list. But the way authoring tools have evolved over the last couple of years, I feel they definitely deserve a place in the list. However, it is only possible if you know how to use these tools creatively and customize the output to make it unique. Here are some quick ways of looking at it:
- Challenge the tool – Don’t just be happy with the basic features that the tool offers; explore the tool and discover ways to create unique solutions. Every tool has a strong developer community to help you with your discoveries.
- Tool limitation is just an excuse – Most of the times stating that the authoring tools have limitations is just an excuse. There could be few “not so obvious” solutions; however, there are workarounds to almost everything.
- Look for creativity – You cannot make the most of the tool if you are concentrating only on the tool functionalities. Look at it not just as a development tool but as a design aid as well.
- Select the tool wisely – Select the most appropriate tool based on your requirements; not every tool is fit for every situation.
Modern day authoring tools are not just for rapid development, but they can provide creative, unique, and cost-effective solutions. So go ahead, make them the differentiators for you.
What do you think? Share your comments.